Involving patients and carers
The involvement of stroke survivors and carers is a key element of our vision and strategy. Meaningful involvement and engagement ensures that patient and carer experiences and views are clearly heard and influence care provided as part of the Greater Manchester stroke pathway.
Ann Bamford chairs the Group and is also the Co-Chair of our Board. She is supported by Gill Pearl, Chief Executive of Speakeasy who helps facilitate the group and ensure it works inclusively.
Each member receives a full induction and meetings occur quarterly, commonly with full attendance.
To date, the group has:
- Advised on My Stroke booklet to ensure it included information that matters to patient in an appropriate language and format
- Helped develop new TIA and driving advice leaflets
- Commented on an alternative model of community care
- Reviewed My Stroke Guide and similar alternatives
- Advised on a poster for stroke units explaining the care pathway to patients and families
- Attended our IAT Implementation Board
- Advised on what training should be provided to community teams and on key aspects of secondary prevention
- Engaged with the Connected Health Cities project patient and public involvement work stream
- Contributed in the consultation of the merger of a local hospital Trust
September 2015 -